Trade Skills Assessment allows potential migrants to explore various Australian visa options such as:
- General Skilled Migration Visas (491, 190, 189)
- Employer Sponsored Permanent Visas (186, 494)
- Employer Sponsored Temporary Working Visas (482).
Every occupation on the Department Home Affairs Occupation Lists has their own approved Skills Assessing Body.
A Trade Skills Assessment is an important part of the trade recognition process when migrating to Australia. It will determine if you have the skills and knowledge required to work in your occupation in Australia. VETASSESS assess around 25 occupations such as electrician, welder, plumber, carpenter, cook, chef, motor mechanic and more. Not All passport holders are eligible to get their trade skills assessed with the VETASSESS as this is occupation and passport specific. For more information on your eligibility please contact us.
Whether you have, or do not have, an acceptable Australian qualification or current Australian occupational licence, you may still qualify for a Trade Skills Assessment.
Don’t have an Australian Qualification of Occupational Licence?
If you do not have an Australian Qualification or Occupational Licence and have worked in your nominated occupation for at least 12 months within the last three years, you may qualify for Pathway 1 Assessment if you are working in:
- Licensed Trades – 6 years’ employment experience (with no formal training)
- Licensed Trades – 4 years’ employment experience (with relevant formal training)
- Non-licensed Trades – 5 years’ employment experience (with no formal training)
- Non-licensed Trades – 3 years’ employment experience (with relevant formal training)
Do have an Australian Qualification or Occupational Licence?
If you have an Australian Qualification or Occupational Licence, you may qualify for Pathway 2 Assessment. To be eligible for this pathway you will require:
- An Australian qualification (including a Statement of Results) OR your current Australian occupational licence.
- Evidence you have worked in paid employment in your occupation for at least 3 years full-time (or part-time equivalent) at the skill level required. This evidence can include taxation records, annual payment summaries, group certificates, payslips and/or bank statements.
- Evidence you have worked full-time in your occupation for 12 months in the last 3 years. For applicants applying with a current Australian occupational licence, this 12-month employment must be in Australia.
Relevant Australian qualification can also be gained through a Process Called RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning). As expert migration agents, contact us to find out whether you can obtain such qualification for your chosen trade occupation.
Based on the evidence you provide, your application for assessment will be reviewed and you move onto Stage 2 of your assessment, where you will undergo a Practical Assessment and/ or Technical Interview, depending whether you qualify through Pathway 1 or Pathway 2.
- In a Practical Assessment, you will complete a series of tasks while being watched by an assessor.
- In a Technical Interview, an assessor will ask you a range of questions about the skills and knowledge required to work in your occupation.