What Does Section 48 Mean

What does section 48 bar mean? and What should I do?

We Can Help


As mentioned in the Migration Act of 1958If you have had a visa cancelled or refused since last arriving in Australia and you are either unlawful (that is – you do not hold a visa) or you hold a bridging visa you are then in what is called ‘section 48 bar’. If you are ‘section 48 barred’ you have been prevented from lodging most other visa applications while you are in Australia (there are some very limited exceptions). This means that you would normally need to leave Australia. Becoming unlawful in Australia or overstaying your visa can negatively affect future visa applications and eligibility for citizenship. There will only be a limited choice of visas that you still can apply for onshore after you section 48 barred such as Partner visas and Bridging visas. In most cases, you will have to travel out of the country before you can apply for a new visa. However, your case might be complicated. Therefore, we recommend you to contact us ASAP.

Book a Free Consultation Now

About Espandan Karki

Spandan is our Principal Registered Migration Agent. He is an experienced migration law professional with a solid history of working in the migration services industry. Spandan founded the company to match the needs of students and the requirements of institutions for the benefit of both.

Leave a Comment