Student Visa Migration Agent Melbourne

Student Visa Australia — How to Get an Australian Student Visa

Australia is widely recognised as one of the most popular destinations for international students. Aside from the high standard of education provided in Australia, the country is also known for its beautiful landscapes and welcoming communities. If you want to live and study in Australia, you will need to obtain a valid Australian student visa.

An Australian student visa will allow you to:

  • attend an approved course of study
  • work in Australia for a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight
  • travel within and outside of the country
  • bring a family member to accompany you.
Immigration Stamp

Types of student visas in Australia

There are the following types of student visas in Australia:

  • subclass 500
  • subclass 590
  • subclass 407

A subclass 590 visa is for guardians of minors who have already obtained a subclass 500 visa. Subclass 407, on the other hand, is for trainees or tertiary students.

Student Visa FAQs

Am I eligible for a student visa?

The main type of visa for international students is the subclass 500 student visa. This visa can be applied for from within or outside of Australia, and it costs AUD $630.

Student Visa (Subclass 500)

To apply for a subclass 500 student visa, you must:

  • Be of the appropriate age (if you wish to enrol for primary school or secondary school education)
  • Show evidence of your enrolment in a particular course of study
  • Pass the official English language test set by the Australian government or show evidence that your English skills are of a particular level
  • Be able to fund your stay in Australia
  • Meet the Australian government’s health requirements
  • Follow the laws set in Australia.


The Australian government will determine the length of your stay in Australia. The amount of time will be determined based on the duration of your course. If you intend to stay and study in Australia for more than 5 years, you must apply for a new subclass 500 visa when your current one expires.
If you’re interested in applying for this visa, contact Nexor Education and Migration Services to speak with an education agent. At Nexor, we can assist you with any questions you may have and guide you through the application process.

Don’t just take our word for it,
book a consultation!

Request an appointment today for your initial consultation with one of our experts. Call us on 03 9111 0009

Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)

With a subclass 590 visa, parents, guardians, and family members over the age of 21 are permitted to accompany and support a minor who holds a subclass 500 student visa. You must have the financial means to provide adequate accommodation, welfare, and other assistance for the student as well as yourself. And since this is a temporary visa, you will not be permitted to work in Australia during your stay.
With this visa, you can also:

  • Take up an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
  • Study in Australia for 3 months
  • Participate in a training course for 3 months
  • Travel both within and outside of the country (with the student visa holder for whom you are responsible)

The validity of this temporary visa is determined by the length of the student’s course, age, and any unusual circumstances or special considerations.

Training Visa (Subclass 407)

Those who have a training visa will be able to stay in Australia for up to 2 years. The subclass 407 visa is for those who intend to study at an Australian tertiary institution or complete a professional training programme.

For this visa, you must:

  • Receive sponsorship from a government-approved sponsor
  • Be nominated by your sponsor
  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Meet the Australian government’s health and character requirements.
  • Be able to communicate in English at a functional level
  • Follow the laws set in Australia.

With a subclass 407 visa, you’ll be able to travel outside of Australia and return as many times as you’d like.

You will not be able to renew this training visa. Before you can apply for a new subclass 407 visa, you must present an acceptable justification for why you were unable to complete your course within the specified term. If you’ve completed two years of training and wish to stay in Australia as a permanent resident, you might be interested in applying for the Job Ready Program.

Need a student visa?

To study at an Australian educational institution, you must acquire a valid Student Visa. Nexor Education and Migration Services will help you through the Student Visa application process — guiding you through every step and fulfilling all your queries. We will also assist you in selecting suitable courses and universities based on your budget and career goals.

Nexor Education and Migration Services can assist you in obtaining a Student Visa (subclass 500), Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590), or Training Visa (Subclass 407). Our migration agents can perform education agent services, as we stay up to date on the latest changes to Australia’s student visa requirements, and we’re committed to offering ongoing assistance throughout the application process. Call us today to get started on your student career in Australia.

Student Visa

Don’t just take our word for it,
book a consultation!

Request an appointment today for your initial consultation with one of our experts. Call us on 03 9111 0009