What is a Professional Year in Australia?
The Professional Year Program allows international students who have graduated from an Australian university with a degree in accounting, engineering, or computer science to gain practical experience in their chosen field. A Professional Year is authorised by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection and several other accrediting bodies. It allows students to develop industry-specific skills through first-hand experience, preparing them for a professional career in the Australian workforce.
What are the requirements for the professional year program?
If you’d like to embark on a Professional Year in Australia, you must first meet the following requirements:
- Have a university degree in accounting, computer science, or engineering from an Australian university.
- Be approved for a Temporary Graduate Subclass 485 visa.
Accounting Professional Year Program
The Accounting Professional Year Program is developed, approved and delivered by the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ), CPA Australia, and the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA). International students who have studied in Australia for at least two years and graduated with an accounting degree from an Australian university are eligible for the Professional Year Accounting Program.This program lasts for a minimum of 44 weeks and includes:
- 32 weeks of classroom study
- 12-week internship placement
Eligible accounting graduates will be able to take advantage of professional and practical hands-on learning opportunities, as well as experience what it’s like to work in an Australian workplace. Completing the Professional Year Accounting Program will also help 485 visa holders earn more points towards a Skilled Independent visa, which will allow them to live and work in Australia permanently.
Engineering Professional Year Program
The Professional Year in Engineering is a program that helps international engineering graduates transition from full-time study to full-time employment in Australia. This 44-week program is provided by Engineering Education Australia (EEA), which includes:
- 32 weeks of classroom-based practical training
- 12 weeks unpaid internship placement at an Australian engineering workplace
To be eligible for this Professional Year Engineering Program, you must have:
- studied at an Australian university for a minimum of two years
- an Australian engineering degree
- a valid subclass 485 visa or a subclass 476 visa
- passed the Engineers Australia Migration Skills Assessment.
Graduates who successfully complete the Engineering Professional Year Program will be guaranteed 5 General Skilled Migration (GSM) points, which will count towards the minimum 65 points required for a subclass 189 visa application.
IT Professional Year Program
The ACS Professional Year Program is open to international IT and computer science graduates who have completed at least two years of study at an Australian university. This program, offered by the Australian Computer Society, lasts 44 to 52 weeks and consists of the following components:
- A week of online orientation
- 32 weeks of classroom-based practical training
- A minimum of 10 weeks internship placement at an Australian company
- A 13-week online course designed to prepare you to work in a professional setting in Australia
Graduates who successfully complete the IT Professional Year Program will be guaranteed 5 General Skilled Migration (GSM) points, which will count towards the minimum 65 points required for a subclass 189 visa application.
How can I benefit from the professional year program?
The Professional Year Program offers several exciting, even life-changing benefits. Here are just some of the reasons you should consider applying for a Professional Year in Australia:
- Upon completion of your Professional Year, you’ll secure five points toward your Australian permanent residency If moving to Australia for life is your goal, a Professional Year is a fantastic step.
- Integrating with Australian society during your Professional Year is a great way to learn more about the country’s culture.
- All work experience is valuable, and your Professional Year is no different. Your time in Australia will bolster your CV.
- University taught you a lot about your chosen career, but there’s nothing quite like learning hands-on. If you’re ready to jump head-first into your professional life, this program is an excellent place to start.
- During your Professional Year, you’ll have an opportunity to brush shoulders with industry leaders. It’s the perfect opportunity to start building your professional network.
Interested in joining a professional year program?
Our expert education agents at Nexor assist international students who have graduated from universities in the fields of engineering, computer science, and accounting in gaining admission to appropriate Professional Year programs. We represent most of the Professional Year providers in Australia, and we’re committed to helping you every step of the way. Call us today to begin your Professional Year in Australia.
Committed to helping our clients succeed