What is a Professional Year in Australia?The Professional Year Program enables international students that have graduated from an Australian university to secure practical training within their chosen career path. The Professional Year Program is authorised by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection and several other accrediting bodies. It allows students to develop industry-specific skills through first-hand experience, preparing them for a professional career in the Australian workforce.The goal of the Professional Year in Australia is two-fold. It’s an exciting opportunity that gives graduates the chance to experience professional life in Australia before returning to their home country. And, it ensures industries like accounting and IT have an ongoing supply of skilled workers.
What are the requirements for the Professional Year Program?If you’d like to embark on a Professional Year in Australia, you must first meet the following requirements:
- You must have a bachelor’s degree in IT, engineering, or accounting from an Australian university.
- You’ll need to have an overall score of six bands to ensure your application to the Post Study Work Stream 485 is successful.
- If you are applying to the Accounting Professional Year Program, you must score six bands in all modules for the Temporary Graduate visa subclass 485. What’s more, you will need more than 12 months on your TR 485 visa.
How can I benefit from the Professional Year Program?The Professional Year Program offers several exciting, even life-changing benefits. Here are just some of the reasons you should consider applying for a Professional Year in Australia:
- Upon completion of your Professional Year, you’ll secure five points toward your Australian permanent residency application. If moving to Australia for life is your goal, a Professional Year is a fantastic step.
- Integrating with Australian society during your Professional Year is a great way to learn more about the country’s culture.
- All work experience is valuable, and your Professional Year is no different. Your time in Australia will bolster your CV.
- University taught you a lot about your chosen career, but there’s nothing quite like learning hands-on. If you’re ready to jump head-first into your professional life, this program is an excellent place to start.
- During your Professional Year, you’ll have an opportunity to brush shoulders with industry leaders. It’s the perfect opportunity to start building your professional network.
Committed to helping our clients succeed
Choosing a course to study and a university to attend in Australia can be overwhelming, with a wealth of quality options and numerous wonderful locations. If you're unsure of where to start, speak with one of our experts before you apply.
At Nexor, we guide international students who have graduated from universities in the fields of engineering, computer science and accounting to get into Professional Year programs.We represent most of the Professional Year providers in Australia.
Nexor provides professional guidance for international students who are looking to pass the NAATI exam to claim an extra 5 points for the points tested visa streams 189/190/489.
Amplify your career development with our career counseling services. We provide thorough assessment of career interests, professional aptitudes and personality to help you make the best career choices.